This vegan butternut squash walnut flatbread is the perfect party appetizer or savory light meal. It is quick to make and bursting with flavor with a pizza crust for the base, and topped with hummus, veggies, walnuts, and dried cranberries. This provides complex carbohydrates, plant-based protein, plenty of fiber, and very little saturated fat.
Nutrition in Walnuts
A handful of walnuts is a versatile snack. Did you know that walnuts are the only nut to contain an excellent source of plant-based omega-3 alpha-linolenic acids ALA (with 2.5 grams per ounce of walnuts)? Read more about the nutrition in walnuts.
Other Ingredients for Butternut Squash Walnut Flatbread
Butternut Squash – Just a half of a cup has 300 mg of potassium and 2 grams of fiber. Having enough potassium is associated with lower blood pressure in adults, according to the CDC. Its’ high beta-carotene content exceeds the daily needs for vitamin A.
Pizza crust – I used homemade pizza dough for this recipe. This contains both whole wheat and enriched flour. For a shortcut, you can purchase premade pizza dough, a premade pizza crust, or a flatbread. I have made it with a thin flax and whole grain flatbread. Whole wheat pita bread or naan would also be great choices (but note that naan is usually made with dairy yogurt).
Hummus: I made homemade hummus this time, but you can definitely use store-bought hummus. I suggest plain or garlic, roasted red pepper, pine nut, everything, or olive flavors.
Green onions or scallions: these are so easy to chop, with a mild flavor and bright green color. Leeks or red onions would be a fine substitute. These are all part of the allium family of vegetables. These provide organosulphur compounds and flavonoids, which are phytochemicals. According to this article in the journal Nutrients, a few studies have found an inverse relationship between allium vegetables and cardiovascular disease, but most of the research has been neutral. Phytochemicals do seem to be associated with the prevention of chronic diseases overall. For example, this meta-analysis in the journal Gastroenterology discusses the decreased risk of gastric cancer with higher intakes of these types of vegetables.
How to Make Butternut Squash Walnut Flatbread
To keep this meal quick, I used butternut squash I had already roasted. It is easy to make it in an Instant Pot also.
Spread out the pizza dough to about 18 x 12 inches. Add the hummus evenly on top, leaving about half of an inch for a crust to make it easier to handle.
Distribute the squash, walnuts, green onions, cranberries, and broccoli evenly over the hummus layer. Bake the flatbread at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes until the crust is lightly browned on top. Then top with the cut fresh basil leaves.
If you use a premade or thin flatbread, it will not need as long to cook. Check it in about 12 minutes and then keep a close eye so it doesn’t burn.
- Instead of dried cranberries, you could use sliced figs, pears, or apples.
- Try other nuts like chopped pecans or pistachios, or sliced almonds instead of walnuts.
- Or add some vegan parmesan cheese
This will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and in the freezer for 3 months.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
- Lentil and walnut stuffed zucchini cups
- Crispy baked eggplant
- Kabocha squash and collard greens with pasta
- Stuffed peppers with butternut squash and quinoa
- Simple orange cinnamon acorn squash rings
- How to cook spaghetti squash with 3 recipes
Savory Butternut Squash Walnut Flatbread
- 1 pound pizza dough, made with half whole wheat flour
- 1 cup hummus
- 2 cups butternut squash cooked, peeled, and diced
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 cup green onions chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup broccoli raw, chopped
- 1 tablespoons fresh basil cut in thin strips
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray the baking sheet with non-stick spray. Stretch out the pizza dough on the baking sheet to about 12 x 18 inches.
- Spread the hummus evenly over the pizza dough, leaving about a half of an inch for the crust.
- Distribute the butternut squash, walnuts, green onions, dried cranberries, and broccoli over the hummus layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.
- Top with the cut basil leaves.
Disclosure: I received free samples from California Walnuts mentioned in this post.
Have you tried butternut squash walnut flatbread? Please leave a rating and let me know in the comments how you liked it.
Don’t miss a recipe! Sign up here for my free monthly newsletter.