Easy Vegan Mexican Pizza is a delicious double-layered melty treat. It’s easy to make and flexible based on the ingredients you have at home. This recipe is made with corn tortillas and is gluten-free, or make it with whole wheat tortillas if you prefer.
It is inspired by the popular Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell®. This can be made with just beans or beans and meat there. Mexican Pizza was recently brought back, and has been so popular that some restaurants have run out of them (see: Taco Bell Locations are Running Out of Mexican Pizza from CNBC)! So it’s a perfect time to try making them yourself. My version is vegan, gluten-free, and has more veggies and seasonings for healthy flavor.
What to Serve with Vegan Mexican Pizza
Vegan Mexican pizza is easy, fun, and filling. Instead of meat, cooked onions and mushrooms provide a pleasantly chewy texture. Enjoy it with salad, guacamole, or a Mexican-style rice dish like Arroz Colorido for a tasty lunch or dinner. You can also serve it in wedges for an appetizer! This recipe makes one pizza / one serving: just make more for more people.
- White button mushroom – one of these or a Baby Bella mushroom is enough for one pizza
- White onion – use white, yellow, or red onion or even the white parts at the bottom of green onions. It is just to add some flavor to the beans and mushrooms.
- Corn Tortillas – I used standard 6-inch corn tortillas. You can also use whole wheat or wheat tortillas if you like (and then the recipe would not be gluten-free). I recommend checking after just 10 minutes in the oven to make sure they don’t burn. Also, the wheat tortillas are usually larger, so you will probably need to use more beans and cheese to cover the entire tortilla.
- Vegetarian Refried Beans – you can also use fresh cooked or canned beans that you have mashed up a bit. These provide protein, fiber, and many important minerals (learn more from this link to All About Beans Nutrition from the North Dakota State University).
- Marinara sauce – I have tried it with either a marinara/spaghetti/pizza sauce or salsa. Both are good, but I think the Italian-style marinara sauce tastes a little more pizza-like.
- Vegan cheddar cheese – check your supermarket for a bag of shredded vegan cheddar cheese. Vegan mozzarella or a combo of the two would also be fine.
- Green onion – slice or cut a length of green onion with scissors for more flavor and colorful interest on the top of your pizza
- Black olives – just a few sliced black olives provide a ton of flavor once bake
- Fresh cilantro (optional) – or you can also top with slices of jalapeno pepper or a little sriracha sauce.
How to Make Vegan Mexican Pizza
- Step 1: Set the oven on 400°F convection (if available).
- Step 2: Heat the oil in a small nonstick skillet over a medium flame. Add the mushrooms, onion, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the refried beans and heat for a few more minutes.
- Step 3: Place one corn tortilla on a cookie sheet. Spread the bean, mushroom, and onion mixture evenly on it.
- Top with 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce and 1 tablespoon of vegan cheese.
- Place the other corn tortilla on top.
- Spread a tablespoon of marinara sauce evenly on top. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of vegan cheddar cheese.
- Add the sliced green onions and black onions on top.
- Step 4: Bake for 14 – 16 minutes until the cheese is hot and melted.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
- Quick Pinto Bean Tostadas with Mango and Cilantro (Vegan)
- Salad with Beans, Quinoa, Rice, and Pecans and Lemon-Herb Dressing
- Quick Pumpkin and Black Bean Tacos
- Easy Mexican Lasagna with Black Beans
Vegan Mexican Pizza
- Small frying pan
- Cookie sheet
- ½ teaspoon neutral oil or light olive oil
- 1 large white button mushroom,chopped in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh white onion, minced
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- dash salt
- dash black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup vegetarian refried beans
- 3 tablespoons marinara sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons shredded vegan cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 inch piece green onion
- 2 sliced black olives
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro (optional)
- Set oven on 400°F convection (if available). Spray the cookie sheet with non-stick spray or put parchment paper on it.
- Heat the oil in a small nonstick skillet over a medium flame. Add the mushrooms, onion, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the refried beans and heat for a few more minutes.
- Place one corn tortilla on a cookie sheet. Spread the bean, mushroom, and onion mixture evenly on it. Top with 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce and 1 tablespoon of vegan cheese. Place the other corn tortilla on top. Spread a tablespoon of marinara sauce evenly on top. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of vegan cheddar cheese. Add the sliced green onions and black onions on top.
- Bake for 14 – 16 minutes until the cheese is hot and melted.
This estimate is from the VeryWellFit nutrition calculator and the Violife vegan cheddar cheese label.
Total fat: 10.8 grams
Saturated fat: 5.0 grams
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Sodium: 596 milligrams
Total carbohydrate: 35.4 grams
Dietary fiber: 5.2 grams
Total sugars: 2.2 grams
Protein: 5.5 grams
Vitamin D: 83 micrograms
Calcium: 90 milligrams
Iron: 1 milligram
Potassium: 90 milligrams
Vitamin B-12: 0.7 milligrams
Have you tried this Vegan Mexican Pizza? Please leave a rating and let me know in the comments how you liked it.
Don’t miss a recipe! Sign up here for my free monthly newsletter.